Friday, December 13, 2013

A Pineapple Delicacy Sophie Frostbaum

While sitting in one of the top restaurants in Atlanta today, I noticed something abrnomal. On the menu of the high rated, Chops, a classy steak restaurant, I came across something called pineapple meatballs. With my inquisitive mind, I decided I must have a taste. I went ahead and ordered them. They turned out to be filled with flavor! The pineapple, which I must admit is my favorite food, was sweet, and paired perfectly with the spicy kick to the meatballs. As a food critic, I was curious about the origins of the pineapple, so I did a little hunting.

I came to discover that pineapple was in fact a part of the Columbian exchange. It went from the New World, to the Old World, or the Americas to Europe and Asia. It is native to South Brazil and Paraguay, and spread down through South America. It reached the Caribbean, and was brought back to Europe by Christopher Columbus. Once it was brought to England, it took a long time for it to grow, but when it did, everyone loved it! I cannot imagine a world without my favorite food, the pineapple.

Pineapple Meatballs. Photo by 12345678980123455677889
 

No comments:

Post a Comment