Friday, December 13, 2013

Little Red's Adventure in the Big Bad City! (Nicole)


 
            This is Little Red here from The Granny's Grub Editorial at local café Au Let in Times Square! I ran away last night because I needed something exciting in my life! Since this is my first time here in the big bad city, I decided to take a lunch break at this little café in the city. While I was there I had the Taco Soup, which in fact was delicious! Included in this tasteful dish was corn, chili peppers, and beef. Because I have special powers (Don't Tell Granny) I was visited by a man who said he was a part of the Columbian Exchange! WOW! I really should have ignored him because I am not supposed to talk to strangers, but I did anyway. He said that all of the ingredients in my food were a part of the Columbian Exchange.
            First, the man started to go off on a rant of how the food got to this diner. To be honest, I wasn't really that interested at first so I was kind of half listening. What I can remember is he started with the cow. He said the tender and juicy beef used in the taco soup was from the Old World, which was brought to the New World. I should ask granny if that means the meat was old. The cows came from herds in the Americas and Mexico. Anyways, the man said the corn in the soup was one of the most important products traded in the exchange. I don't get why cuz' to me corn is not that good! He said that the corn used came from the New world. It was domesticated in the Incan, Mayan, and Aztec Empires, but was traded throughout North America, Europe, and Africa. The last main part of the ingredients were the round and spicy chili peppers that added a spicy flavoring to the soup! These chili peppers came from the New world and traveled to the Old World. The man said that back then all of these delightful and popular ingredients were key to making meals.
Well Granny is calling me to go make dinner! She said we have a guest who has huge teeth, eyes bigger than his stomach, and an angry temper so I better hurry! Bye for Now! I might make another adventure soon so stay tuned!
Xoxo Little Red!

No comments:

Post a Comment