Friday, December 13, 2013

Chocolate Peanut Butter History Terell Lopez

While visiting the local establishment Delicacies Atlanta, I glanced at a diverse menu and ordered the cake that had this place buzzing with visitors, regular customers, and even celebrities. The Sour Cream Chocolate Cake is topped with peanut butter frosting and a chocolate-peanut butter glaze. Upon tasting the exalted cake, my senses exploded into fireworks of joy. Just as I was about to dive into my slice, a man sitting at a table adjacent to mine asked if I really enjoyed the cake. I answered with a delightful yes. He then asked what brought me to Delicacies Atlanta, in which I replied that I was a fanatic of delicious food and heard of this treat. He shook his head in agreement and asked if I knew where the ingredients originated from. After answering with a no, he began a mini history lesson. "Two of the most important ingredients in this dish are the chocolate and peanut butter. Chocolate originates from cacao and peanut butter originates from peanuts. Cacao beans come from cacao pods that had originated in the foothills of the Andes in current-day Colombia and Venezuela, while peanuts originated from Bolivia and adjoining countries. In Mesoamerica, cacao beans were used in currency. After European exploration, these two ingredients (along with others) are documented as key trading factors from the Americas to Afro-Eurasia in the Columbian Exchange." As he finished, I took another forkful of heaven. The creaminess of the peanut butter and chocolate was perfectly blended. The cake was so rich, I had to take some home. I thanked the man for the information, paid for another slice of the cake, and left with cake and enlightenment on chocolate and peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment