Friday, December 13, 2013

A sweet walk down tasty lane(sahmirah)

Today I went to this nice bakery on the corner, I pass by there every day on my merry way, but today I smelled something I never smelled before, I smelled a scent that I knew I would never forget. As I turned my head and walked up to the door, all the aromas mixed together and I knew I had to find out what that smell was. As I opened the door I saw them, I saw what I was looking for, Chocolate chip cookies.
As I went up to the counter and ordered me a dozen of fresh chocolate chip cookies, I sat at the counter and wondered how these tasty ingredients came to this bakery and who thought of this amazing dessert. I knew they didn't grow them in the back and I knew they didn't just go to the store and buy them of the shelf. How, where, when, and why? I needed to know these questions. As the lady came back with my cookies, I asked her if she could tell me.  
She told me that her ancestors came to America from Europe in the 15th century around the time that the Columbian Exchange was occurring. Her ancestors brought along some sugar for the sail ride, instead of grinding it up they would just suck on it. She told me that when they arrived to the New World, they met a family of local farmers who lived in Mexico. They noticed a new plant that they've never seen before. It was green and long, but smelt so sweet. The two families traded sugar and vanilla. As her ancestors continued their voyage through the new world, her ancestors met another family of farmers who lived in Central America. While there they noticed another new plant that they never saw before that grew on trees and was big and green. The two families traded sugar and cocoa.
As generations went on, cultures interacted and ingredients were mixed, finally someone came up with the chocolate chip cookie that is now loved by billions. It was interesting to know the history behind chocolate chip cookies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment