Friday, December 13, 2013

Erin's Meat Pie Voyage

.

When I went to visit the local pie restaurant I ordered a nice old fashioned meat pie. Then I got to thinking. How did all these natively Old World ingredients get to the U.S.? Well then it hit me The Columbian Exchange of course. All of the ingredients in my delicious meat pie traveled with the Europeans to become native in the Americas. The ingredients such as beef and grains really make the difference in my pies. The beef is tasty and minced, and the crust was perfectly crunchy.

 

 The beef in my meat pie, had to be kosher, came from the Old World. Cattle were first domesticated in Europe and when it was brought over to the New World it changed their economy forever because now cattle raising is a main component of the Americas economy. Beef cattle have impacted the economy of both Brazil and Texas where it is commonly grown. The new world was not used to these animals being that they mainly had domesticated dogs, llamas, and guinea pigs. Another key part of my meat pie is the pie crust which is made of wheat. Well wheat also did not originate in the New World of the Americas. Wheat was grown throughout Europe and the Middle East to help support their large populations. This cereal grain was also brought over to the new world and has become an important part of the new world's diet. This meat pie could not have been possible without the help of the Columbian Exchange.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment