Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Lamb Taco Adventure


One day pondering my time at Village Burger, a worldwide restaurant, in Switzerland I decided to order the special on the menu, Braised Lamb Tacos. The dish was delicious and the lamb was cooked perfectly. There were many other flavors in the taco, some sweet and spicy they balanced the taco to make it very flavorful. I started to wonder where all of these foods might come from and I asked to talk to the manager. We spoke briefly and he told me that all of the vegetables were grown in a local produce market and all of the meat is never frozen and freshly delivered. I thanked him for the delicious meal and continued my day, but me being so curious about food I decided to do more exploring of where these foods came from.

                Back in the late 1400s and early 1500s there was the Columbian exchange where many foods, animals, and diseases moved from europe, africa, and asia to the americas then many of the same things traveled to europe. I figured out that Lamb came from the old world to the new world on one of Columbus's voyages to the Americas. Many peppers that were in the dish however traveled the opposite way and went from new world to old world. It blew my mind that now we make foods that consist of many types of meat, spices, peppers, and fruits from all over the world and we have this Columbian exchange to thank for that!

-Margaret Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment