Friday, December 13, 2013

A Trip to Ellison's House

I have recently gone to a restaurant (my house) and was greeted with the smell of fried food.  The chef (my mom) was throwing a variety of vegetables, a good amount of pork and rice into a wok.  Once the chef was done cooking, a dish with a mountain of fried rice appeared before me.  The fried rice was not burnt and stayed warm throughout the meal.  The vegetables were crisp, the pork was fully cooked, and the rice had a sweet taste to it.  The main components of this dish were the pork and the rice.

If I remember correctly, rice and pigs (pork) were trade materials in the Columbian Exchange, a trading system in which the Afro-Eurasians exchanged plants, animals, and disease with the Americas.  These were both ingredients that were exchanged from the Old World to the New World.  Pigs were domesticated animals in the Old World, and rice originated in Southeastern Asia.

Ellison Pyon

No comments:

Post a Comment