Saturday, December 14, 2013

World Famous Spicy Hawaiian Pizza~Amea

Everyone has eaten pizza, but every pizza is different from the next. The best pizza is at Terry's Pizzeria, and I just had to go try their World Famous Spicy Hawaiian Pizza. At the first bite it was fresh and sweet, with an understated hint of spice. The pizza was made with wheat dough, fresh Hawaiian pineapple, jalapeño peppers, and honey glazed ham. All the fruits and vegetables were picked fresh that morning by the chef, the meat was slow cooked 24 hours before, and the wheat dough used was freshly made that morning. Since Terry's Pizzeria is in Hawaii I wondered the origin of all these foods, so I want all the way back to the Columbian Exchange to begin my search.

When I started my exploration I realized that most of the components of this pizza were items traded in the Columbian Exchange. I seen that wheat originated in the Old World (Europe, Asia, and Africa) and was transported to the New World (South and North America).  Although the jalapeño peppers and pineapples were transported from the New World to the Old World.  The tomatoes used in the tomato sauce were also brought from the New World to the Old World. The mozzarella cheese and honey glazed ham came from the Old World to the New World.  It was outstanding that foods from across the world could come together to make an amazing pizza, I guess that's why it is the world's most famous pizza.  

 

~Amea Stephens

No comments:

Post a Comment